How To Make Your Own Candy Cane Lip Balm
This year, the usual holiday activities don’t sound as appealing. Baking cookies? You don’t want to add frosting to your extra “Quarantine Fifteen.” Singing songs? “Carol of the Bells” is hard enough without masks. Instead, start a new tradition by learning how to make your own candy cane lip balm. It can be a craft with the kids, a time-out for a little self-care, or a solution for stocking stuffers.
- Versagel gloss base
- Candy Cane lip flavor oil
- Microwave-safe bowls
- Mixing utensils and spatulas
- A lip gloss tube
- A 60 ml syringe with pipette
- Squeeze about 13 ml (or 13 grams) of Versagel into a mixing bowl.
- Add moisturizing oils (optional). No Prob-Llama’s Premium Lip oils combine argan, jojoba, sweet almond, and apricot kernel oils. You can also try additives like coconut oil or vitamin E.
- Heat in the microwave for about 20 seconds.
- Add color, if desired. Our pigment powders now include red and pink glimmers, or you can try alkanet root. Start with just a bit, increasing the tint for intensity. Make sure to mix it well.
- Reheat for 20 to 30 seconds.
- Add Candy Cane flavor oil (two to four drops) and stir. You can try peppermint essential oil, too.
- Use your syringe to squeeze the gloss into the tube.
Important to note: Your lip gloss should smell just like a candy cane, but it shouldn’t taste like it. Licking your lips just dries them, and you’ll have to reapply more gloss often. If you want just a taste of sweetness, we recommend adding a little Stevia.
It’s easy to decorate lip gloss tubes with custom labels, but Candy Cane gloss looks great with nothing more than a white sticker decorated with red stripes. If you plan to make a few gifts, you might want to try one of our lip gloss base pouches; a 12-ounce Versagel pouch will make about 40 lip glosses in 10 ml tubes or 50 in 8 ml tubes.
You can package the glosses in simple, sheer organza bags or tie them to tags for stocking stuffers. They’re great to include in gift baskets with wellness or beauty themes. For something more original, you can make a gift basket with a candy cane theme. Items you might include:
- Candy cane cookies
- Peppermint bark
- Peppermint coffee
- Red-and-white striped pajamas
- Red-and-white striped scarf
Another twist is to give the gloss with a bouquet of candy canes in weird flavors. The recipient will laugh but probably won’t eat them. You can find:
- Mac & cheese
- Dr. Pepper
- A&W Root Beer
- Dill pickle
Once you know how to make your own candy cane lip balm, you can try our other lip flavor oils, such as Gingerbread Cookie and Sugar Cookie, for some variety. It’s great to have the ingredients on hand if you need a last-minute gift. You can make something thoughtful and useful within a few hours, and you’ll smell festively fresh as a bonus.