How To Make a Glitter Lip Gloss
If you love a more natural look, congratulations! All you need is a bit of lip balm for a winning smile. But the rest of us like our cosmetics with some added drama and glamour. Learning how to make a glitter lip gloss is an easy way to amplify those luscious lips.
What You’ll Need
The basic checklist is the same as any other handcrafted lip gloss. You’ll just add to your DIY lip gloss supplies with an ingredient that gives it more dimension. These are a few options that might work for you:
- Makeup-Grade Glitter: You can buy some from online DIY sites.
- Mica Powder: You might come across this at a big-box store or online.
- Pearl Dust: This is intended for decorating cakes, and you can find it in the baking section of a craft store.
What You Don’t Need
This is not the time to improvise with additives. While you shouldn’t be licking or ingesting lip gloss, you should still make sure you only use ingredients that are edible. That means you should never use:
- Craft Glitter: It’s toxic when swallowed.
- Cake Glitter: The dust works, but the baking glitter is too chunky to wear on your lips.
- Glitter Glue: You don’t even want to know what happens.
Beware that “glitter” can be synonymous with “gritty” if you don’t choose a fine consistency. No one wants lips that feel like sandpaper, no matter how much they shine. Another drawback to the above additives is that they can add unwanted color or dilute a shade you’ve perfected. But you can avoid that with glitters that are specifically developed for lip products.
No Prob-Llama’s glitters combine color with an eye-catching finish in rose gold, purple, red, and gold. Our other shades add a holographic or pearlescent effect to heighten the impact. This can save you a step as you try to balance texture, tint, and shimmer.
Learning how to make a glitter lip gloss just takes a few steps:
- Heat Versagel gloss base in the microwave for about 20 seconds.
- Add pigments and glitter—or a combination glitter/pigment—and stir until you achieve the ideal look. Reheat for 20 seconds.
- Add moisturizers and essential oils as desired. Stir.
With enough ingredients, you can create all kinds of variations. Experiment until you’ve made your dream lip gloss—the one you never could find in stores. Or keep experimenting until you’ve formulated an entire line of products. No Prob-Llama’s collection of DIY lip gloss supplies is a great place to start. Where you finish is up to you.